This collection is a digitized copy of the book Architecture
—Practical and Theoretical by the Beezer Brothers (1894). The Beezer brothers (Louis and Michael J.) were famous more architects who originally set up their firm in Altoona, PA where they built many homes, but then moved on to Pittsburgh and eventually Seattle, WA. less
This collection contains historic reports and surveys from the Blair County area.
This collection contains photos documenting the history of Central Pennsylvania and the surrounding region.
Winona Garbrick was one of the most prolific teachers in Bedford High School history. Her legacy includes National Bestselling Author Dean Koontz, who wrote a personalized more letter about Ms. Garbrick for the Winona Garbrick Reading Room in the Bedford Public Library. This collection contains materials donated by her family including family photos, location photos from the early 1900s in Bedford County, letters and drawings from various correspondences throughout her life, and documentation from the time she was in the Army during World War II through her teaching career. less
Johnstown, Pennsylvania, was originally formed as a town in 1800. The city has experienced three major floods throughout its history and later became the site of more the Cambria Iron Company. In the 1860s, the Cambria Iron Company was the leading steel and iron producer in the United States outproducing larger steel and iron companies in bigger cities like Pittsburgh and Cleveland. This collection contains a corpus of books that highlight the historical significance of Johnstown. less
This collection contains postcards from the early 20th century of Johnstown, Pennsylvania area landmarks.
American Marketplace chronicles the development of the industrial expansion of the United States following the Civil War, and the parallel emergence of the consumer products reflecting more the prosperity that came with 19th and 20th Century manufacturing. The 669 titles reflect many well-known companies in industries such as agriculture,shipping, the railroads, and the early automotive and aviation trades. Along with the manufacturer’s catalogs are period consumer products as illustrated in mail-order, retail and merchandise catalogs. less
Pittsburgh’s heritage is strongly rooted in iron, steel, mining and related industries. This section of the Pittsburgh Iron & Steel Heritage Collection is a compilation of more almost two dozen 19th and 20th Century journals about mining, manufacturing, and the state-of-the-art technical developments of their day used by our region's businesses and industrial researchers. Through this collection, we strive to preserve the culture, heritage and knowledge of our region's industrial past, while enhancing the public's understanding of what made Pittsburgh the "Workshop of the World." less
Complementing the original Iron & Steel Collection, the Iron & Steel Photographic Collection features individual images of places and personalities intrinsic to Pittsburgh's development as the more world's leading producer of iron and steel. Photos include Titans of Industry such as Charles Schwab and Andrew Carnegie as well as mill workers, trainmen, secretaries, and Iron Puddlers. The collection also includes mill fronts, railroads and the factory floor. less
Pittsburgh’s heritage is strongly rooted in iron, steel, mining and related industries. The Pittsburgh Iron & Steel Heritage Collection is a digital compilation of books, journals, more photographs, trade catalogs, and related literature. Through this collection, we strive to preserve the culture, heritage and knowledge of our region's industrial past, while enhancing the public's understanding of what made Pittsburgh the "Workshop of the World." less
The Builder is an architectural publication that was published in Pittsburgh from 1901 to 1919. Its subtitle is: "Devoted to Architecture". The Builder is a highly more unique resource that provides an in-depth look at the design and construction of residential and commercial spaces in Pittsburgh during the era that Pittsburgh's industrial, commercial and civic life thrived. The contents in the Builder includes both the artistic & architectural overview of individual buildings and neighborhood developments, as well as the artisan and skilled trade resources used by designers, architects and builders during this period. Carnegie Library of Pittsburgh gratefully acknowledges the loan of several volumes of The Builder for this project by the University of Notre Dame. less
This collection contains primary resources about Carnegie's bequests along with supporting explanatory text, that teachers will be able to use a part of their curriculum.
Bellefonte has been home to seven governors, five of whom were Governors of Pennsylvania. This collection features correspondence, documents, and manuscripts of their authorship as well more as other artifacts connected to their respective terms of office. The collection is held by Centre County Library & Historical Museum. less
This collection contains photographs of Northern Chester County in the first decades of the 1900's.
This collection contains images of photographs, letters, and other memorabilia and resources contributed by the community documenting the impact of World https://digitalarchives.powerlibrary.org/papd/islandora/object/papd%3Apclfl-wwiWar I on Clarion County, more Pennsylvania. less
This collection provides access to two rare dispensatories and receptures that illuminate the therapeutic practices and medical orientation of two dispensing physicians in the multilingual colonial more medical market of rural Pennsylvania. The overall objective is the preserve in their entirety and to make accessible to scholarly and lay audiences a body of writings that offer insight into some of the medical resources available to the North American colonial population: A bilingual (German and English) formulary, the Medicina Pennsylvania of George de Benneville, a French Huguenot physician and the record of the practice and of the receptures - entitled Remediorum Specimina aliquot ex praxi A. W[agner] - of a Schwenckfelder practitioner from Silesia. These manuscripts can be dated roughly to the period 1740 to 1780. Both drew on numerous 18th century continental European and English sources, explicitly in the case of the Wagner manuscript and unacknowledged but obvious in the Medicina Pennsylvania. Both offer copious highly technical receptures for the armentarium of chemiatric and botanical substances that were in general use at the end of the early modern period. Similar to other physician manuals of the period, they lay out medicinals and related procedures for treatment of major diseases and conditions, including female complaints and pre- and perinatal advise. A strong but eclectic orientation to chemiatric preparations is evident, matched by reliance on the traditional botanical and animal reservoir. less
Minutes of the Town Council of the Borough of Conshohocken, Volume 1, July 1850 - March 1874 Collection.
The Meadville Local History Collection is a condensed sketch of the early history of Meadville, Pennsylvania which covers the city's natural resources and a portrayal of more leading industries educational, financial, and commercial interests. less
This collection includes early photographs showing student life, faculty, buildings, and grounds of Friends' Central School, a co-ed Quaker School founded by three Quaker meetings in more 1845. The school has had three locations; 4th and Cherry St, 15th and Race St. in Philadelphia and City Line Ave in Wynnewood, PA. The current location is the former estate of the Wistar Morris family and was landscaped by Frederick Olmstead. The collection gives an overview of the history of Quaker education and includes photographs of early Quaker educators important in the history of Quaker meetings in the Philadelphia area. Quaker curriculum was unique for its time. The school included both Quaker and non-Quaker children from both Hicksite and Orthodox Quaker Meetings. Science and Latin were taught to both boys and girls and both genders participated in physical education. Holidays were not observed. An early instructor was Benjamin Eakins, who taught penmanship and the headmaster who was present during the relocation to City Ave, was Barclay Jones, cousin of Rufus Jones. Photographs from the 1920s included in the collection highlight the beauty of the Wistar Morris estate whose mansion is still used as the main campus building and features an original Tiffany window. less
This collection contains historic documents about the James V. Brown Library of Williamsport, PA, including Annual Reports and minutes from Board of Trustee meetings.
Over two thousand (2,000) local historical photographs, drawings and images of old Lycoming County, PA. can be found here. Images are shown in a small version more for browsing or as a full size image for detail. less
Welcome to the Keystone College Local History Collection, a part of the POWER Library: PA Photos and Documents. This collection a large number of photos and more documents from and about the local communities and personalities present in Factoryville, PA; Nicholson, PA; Dalton, PA; and other smaller communities dating from 1868 to the present. less
Photographs of Knoxville, Pennsylvania, including adjacent Deerfield Township.
This collection consists of Lancaster City and County residential and commercial directories, 1843-1900. These directories provide valuable information regarding the population of Lancaster City and County, more as well as the growth and development of the community and the evolution of Lancaster commerce and industry. less
Welcome to the Lancasterhistory.org's Lancaster County City Directories 1901 - 1914 Collection, a part of the POWER Library: PA Photos and Documents. This collection consists of more Lancaster City and County residential and commercial directories, 1901-1914. These directories provide valuable information regarding the population of Lancaster City and County, as well as the growth and development of the community and the evolution of Lancaster commerce and industry. less
Welcome to the Lancasterhistory.org's Lancaster County City Directories 1901 - 1914 Collection, a part of the POWER Library: PA Photos and Documents. This collection is the more third and final piece of our project to digitize Lancaster City and County directories. The first two pieces are already on AccessPA. These nine directories include directories from the small towns of Lititz and Columbia. These directories are useful to those researching family history and the development of communities over time. Advertisements in these directories are also valuable. less
This is a collection of documents, photographs, and monographs relating to the history of Lancaster, Pennsylvania.
Williamsport Women: Voices, Images, Actions Source material related to the history of women in Lycoming County from Lycoming College, the Lycoming County Historical Society, and the J.V. more Brown Library. Documents selected highlight the history of local women in volunteer and reform organizations, education, the arts, the workplace, and private lives. The first part of the collection will cover the time period 1875-1925. "This material will have national, perhaps international, significance as it relates to women's history and studies during a time period when there is a scarcity of materials about women's contributions to local communities. All three cooperating facilities are very limited in staffing and available hours, so the materials will reach users who either cannot physically come to the collections or did not previously know of their existence. This collaborative project is funded through an LSTA grant. less
Founded in 1761 by Frederick Stump, Fredericksburg (formerly Stumpstown) is situated in northern Lebanon County, Pennsylvania. Formerly a predominantly rural, farming community with a substantial German more heritage, the town has become increasingly diverse and suburban due to its proximity to Fort Indiantown Gap and New York City. Historically the home of up to seven churches, numerous main street businesses, and Schuylkill Seminary/College (1886-1902), Bell & Evans, the poultry raising and processing giant headquartered in Fredericksburg, is now the town's main employer as it continues expansion of its operations. This collection contains vintage postcards and photographs depicting various local street scenes and local organizations, including local businesses and the local baseball team. Images chronicle Fredericksburg localities, businesses, and citizens ranging from the late-nineteenth century to mid-twentieth century. less
Hershey News, published from 1953 until 1964, reported news and events throughout the Township of Derry, Pennsylvania (informally known as Hershey). A small town newspaper, there more were many local citizens featured in not only news stories, but also in recognition of special occasions. When a request is made for information about the events and activities of The Hershey Company, Hershey Entertainment and Resorts Company, Hersheypark, Hershey Trust Company, Milton Hershey School, Derry Township School District highlights and events, and the reactions of local citizens to community events during this period, Hershey News is the first resource consulted. No other resource fully documents the spirit and atmosphere of this community. In addition, this business and recreational community, established by Milton S. Hershey, is of specific interest to sociological, business, and political science researchers, as well as residents and their descendants. less
Cascade Park is a former amusement park which now serves as a recreational nature park; it is located 2 ½ miles from downtown New Castle in more Lawrence County, Pennsylvania. This collection contains materials in various formats related to Cascade Park and the Old Timer’s Picnic – an event that has taken place annually at the park since 1907. Included in this collection are the following items: - Cascade Park souvenir booklet circa 1915 containing photos of the park. - Photos and postcards of Cascade Park circa 1915. - An invitation card to a ladies event at the park from 1912. - Old Timer’s Picnic souvenir books from 1907, 1908, 1909, 1911, and 1915 which include photos of notable citizens of New Castle, Cascade Park, and the city of New Castle. - A button/pin from the 1910 Old Timer’s Picnic with a photo of the Shenango Bridge. - An invitation card for the 51st Old Timer’s Picnic in 1958. The location of the park was originally part of Donation Lands set aside for veterans of the Revolutionary War. Two hundred acres were given to Robert McWilliams who, circa 1816, constructed a gristmill and dam in what was then known as Big Run Falls. Col. Brinton purchased over 70 acres of the land from McWilliams in 1891. He re-named the area Brinton Park and added a dance platform and amusements, including a steam-powered merry-go-round, to attract residents to the already beautiful environment which features natural waterfalls. The spot was a popular place for fishing, swimming, picnics, dancing, and other recreations of the time. In 1897, the New Castle Traction Company (later Penn Power) purchased the park, installed streetcar tracks for accessibility and renamed the area Cascade Park in reference to the natural waterfalls. Due to declining attendance and the resulting financial loss, Penn Power transferred the title to Cascade Park in perpetuity to the city of New Castle in the early 1930s. Since its opening, Cascade Park has been home to a number of amusements including: rides, midway games, baseball fields, restaurants, horseshoe and bocce courts, outdoor theater productions, swimming pools, a lake for boating, fishing, swimming and ice skating, picnic areas, zoological gardens, and a bathhouse. It also boasted the largest dance pavilion in Pennsylvania, built in 1898, which still stands today. By the early 2000s, the swimming pool had closed, the lake had dried up, and the amusements had been removed. From the 1970s to today, various local non-profit organizations from around the city have been integral in repairing and maintaining the site and assisting in its transition back to a natural park. Cascade Park remains a popular nature recreation area and offers picnic areas, playground areas, food stands, hiking trails, a dog park, and is the host to a number of community events which occur throughout the year. less
This collection contains a selection of various directories from 1872-1899 (not exhaustive), covering the Mahoning, Shenango, and Beaver valleys, as well as Lawrence County and the more City of New Castle. less
This collection contains City of New Castle directories covering all years, 1900-1910.
This collection contains City of New Castle directories covering all years, 1911-1918 (not exhaustive).
This collection contains City of New Castle directories covering all years, 1921-1928.
A selection of photographs and video clips from the New Castle Public Library's 100th Anniversary celebration, October 21, 2010.
Photographs of the New Cumberland Public Library and library functions, as well as some flyers and documents from library programs, primarily from 1975 on.
The Harmonists, a Christian Communal society, founded Old Economy Village in 1824. They were known for their piety, as well as for their economic successes in more textile manufacturing, including silk production, and later in the oil and railroad industries. Old Economy Village in Ambridge, PA is the home of a great deal of information about the Harmony Society and life in general in the nineteenth century. Major topics covered by the archives and library include music, architecture, religion, business, photographs, and more. less
This collection includes photographs from the Pennsylvania Geological Survey Historical Photographs Collection.
Pennsylvania Highlands Community College – American Association of University Women – Johnstown Branch
Started in 1923, the Johnstown Branch of the American Association of University Women has been supporting women's issues and improving the lives of women and girls more in the Johnstown region. The collection contains minutes, newsletters, and photos of the branch since its earliest dates. less
This collection contains photographs, military records, and items connected to the Beaverdale Public Library.
This collection includes scans of immigration declarations registered in Cambria County from 1835-1991. Information includes name, place of departure, country of origin, and age.
This collection features items collected from the public that focus on the immigrant and ethnic heritage of Cambria County.
In 1900, there were 34 sanatoriums in the United States. By 1925 there were 536. The Cresson Sanatorium was one of the earlier sanatoriums and provides more a record of life at an institution at a time of heightened health concerns and spread of tuberculosis. The Cresson Sanatorium was located in the mountain near the present-day town of Cresson in Cambria County. The "San" as it was known, was in existence from 1913 and 1964 and treated people diagnosed with tuberculosis. Some patients stayed or years, while others who died there were never reclaimed by their families and are interred in a nearby hillside. The items in this collection have been gathered from persons who were patients at the San or who had relatives who were patients there. Most materials were gathered at part of a centennial commemoration of the Cresson Sanatorium. less
This collection features the logbooks and other records of the Johnstown Area Fire Departments.
This collection contains photographs, postcards, scrapbooks, connected to boroughs and townships in Northern Cambria County and Northern Cambria Public Library.
On May 31, 1889, the breaking of the South Fork Dam caused the single greatest natural disaster in the history of the United States: the Great more Johnstown Flood. It is the personal accounts and rare photographs of the survivors which are the focus of this project. Published in 1889, many of the selected texts are no longer in print or available for public access. less
This collection documents the history of the Neighborhood Garden Association of Philadelphia founded in 1953 by noted horticulturist, activist, author and educator Louise Bush-Brown. The images more depict the earliest collaborative efforts of the Association, neighbors, garden clubs, and settlement houses who worked together to green and beautify neighborhoods and vacant lots throughout the City beginning with the first garden block on Mercy Street sponsored by St. Martha’s Settlement in Southeast Philadelphia and the now lost Ken-Watt Court a collaboration with the storied United Neighbors Association in 1953 to its partnership with the Penn State Extension to establish the first demonstration garden in the Mantua section of West Philadelphia in 1965. Louise Carter, born in 1897, graduated from the Pennsylvania School of Horticulture for Women in 1916. After a variety of jobs, Carter came back to the school in 1924 as their director. In 1925, she married James Bush-Brown, the school’s landscape design instructor. Louise Bush-Brown went on to direct the school for 28 years, retiring in 1952. She was an integral part of the school’s success. She also authored and co-authored several books with her husband, most notably America’s Garden Book written in 1939. In 1953, she founded the Neighborhood Garden Association of Philadelphia, and won the National Recreation Award for the Neighborhood Garden Project in 1959. Later, in 1967, she was invited to the White House to speak at the Natural Beauty and Citizen Participation Conference about her work. She died in 1974. The formal perennial gardens at the Ambler Arboretum are named in her honor. This digital project is supported in part through a 2020 NEH Cares Grant, National Endowment for the Humanities. less
This collection consists of documentation related to the Philadelphia Flower Show from 1829 to the present including tickets, advertisements, posters and high-quality photographs to exhibits and more promotional events. Some of the images include buildings that no longer exist, such as Philadelphia's Commercial Museum and Civic Center. less
Pennsylvania Horticultural Society – Philadelphia Garden Photographs, 1900-1940: 1. Garden Club of Philadelphia
The Garden Club of Philadelphia was established in 1904 by Mrs. J. Willis Martin and Miss Ernestine Goodman to promote an interest in gardens, their design, more and management. The garden club held meetings, conducted horticultural research, attended lectures, and participated in civic endeavors. In 1913, several members of the Garden Club of Philadelphia joined with several women from other local gardening associations to form the larger Garden Club of America. This collection, comprised of more than 300 views on glass, most hand-tinted, focuses on individual private gardens in and around Philadelphia, eastern Pennsylvania, and New Jersey. The images provide unique documentation of gardens that are either “lost” or have been significantly altered during the last half of the 20th-century and include multiple views of the estate gardens of Andalusia, Stenton, Highlands, and Ludington among many others. This digital project is supported by a grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. less
Pennsylvania Horticultural Society – Philadelphia Garden Photographs, 1900-1940: 2. John C. Wister Collection
The noted scholar, horticulturist, and landscape architect John Caspar Wister (1887-1982) focused on eastern Pennsylvanian climate and ecology through his work as first director of both more the Tyler Arboretum (Media, Pennsylvania) and the Scott Arboretum (Swarthmore College). This collection, comprised of more 400 views on glass, most hand-tinted, illustrated Wister's popular lectures, which he delivered to garden club members, college and university audiences, and horticultural societies in Philadelphia and throughout the United States from 1920s through the 1930s. The slides depict approximately 100 sites--primarily Philadelphia public and private gardens, parks and landscapes, and individual views of plant specimens. Geographically, the slides feature the American East and West, with Europe represented by Switzerland, Germany, France and England, and includes an unattributed subset devoted to China, Japan and Hawaii. This digital project is supported in part by a grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. less
Pennsylvania Horticultural Society – Philadelphia Garden Photographs, 1900-1940: 3. PHS Collection Portfolios
This collection is comprised of photographic images documenting designed landscapes both private and public in and around Philadelphia. Digitized materials include early-twentieth century views of private, more public, and corporate gardens documented in the collection of the Society of Little Gardens of Philadelphia. In addition, the PHS Collection Portfolios document the activities the Rittenhouse Square Flower Market as well as materials connected to the School Gardens Movement in Philadelphia through the Perla A. Matthews photograph collection. Included are photographs taken by noted Canadian photographer Clara Sipprell (1885-1975) and Philadelphia photographer, Ida W. Pritchett of the Alba B. Johnson estate “Castana,” in Rosemont, Pennsylvania. In addition, are the images of Edge Hill, the estate of Samuel W. Morris that depict the gardens designed by landscape architect Ellen Biddle Shipman (1869-1950) and photographed by "Mrs. Gillingham" [Mrs. C. Stratton Howe Gillingham] and Mattie Edwards Hewitt (1869-1956). This digital project is supported in part by a grant from the Pennsylvania Historical and Museum Commission. less
This collection documents activities and projects undertaken by or in partnership with the Pennsylvania Horticultural Society from its inception in 1827 to the 21st Century (apart more from Philadelphia Flower Show documentation, which is in a separate collection). The bulk of the material is from originals dating from 1940 - 2010. Consisting of scanned documents and photographic images, born-digital images, and digitized video and audio clips, this collection documents Philadelphia-area horticultural activity including: WWII Victory Garden Harvest Shows; PHS’s work from 1970s forward on urban greening projects created in concert with community leaders and activists; major projects on public landscape revitalization; and vacant land stabilization. This collection traces the trajectory of PHS’s urban greening initiatives starting in the 1970s as its Philadelphia Green program, which, over time, helped Philadelphians create hundreds of community gardens, plant thousands of trees to beautify and cool the city’s streets, to revitalize Philadelphia’s neighborhood parks and to bring new life to iconic public landscapes. Additionally, the collection includes digital images of Meadowbrook Farm a 25-acre property in Abington, Pennsylvania, bequeathed to PHS in 2003 and material related to PHS’s first Pop Up Garden in 2011. The collection is supported in part through a 2020 NEH Cares Grant, National Endowment for the Humanities. less
This collection of approximately 29,000 postcards from the 1880s to the 1970s includes images from across the U.S. and all 67 Pennsylvania counties and highlights cities, more towns, buildings, local businesses and industries, parks, and scenic and street views. Additional images include business and industry advertising, highways, states, and foreign countries. less
This is a collection of posters of varying size, color and medium pertaining to the U.S. and Pennsylvania from before the start of the Civil War more Period to the present. Subjects include business advertising, public announcements, broadsides, political cartoons, campaign posters, World War II, world travel, and civic duties. Manufactured for many different businesses, institutions, and government agencies, the artwork is by famous, obscure, and unknown commercial illustrators. less
This collection includes historical glass plate negatives documenting daily life of staff and residents of Polk State School in Venango County, Pennsylvania. In the early 20th more century Polk Village included resident cottages and dormitories, industrial school classrooms, auditorium, gymnasium, hospital, bakery and kitchen, power plant, farm and orchard. Images show grounds and facilities, interior and exterior views of buildings, staff and residents, school activities, celebrations, games, athletic teams, plays and performances. less
This collection is of World War I era posters of varying size, color and medium pertaining to the U.S. and Pennsylvania. The posters are manufactured for more many different businesses, institutions, and government agencies, and the artwork is by famous, obscure and unknown commercial illustrators. Those printed by various federal agencies were intended to generate patriotic fervor in Americans. less
A selection of historic photographs, documents, and ephemera from the archival collections at Peters Township Public Library. These primary source materials document changes within Peters Township more from the late 1800s through the 20th century. less
This collection contains oral histories conducted as part of Peters Township Public Library's Life in Peters Township: An Oral History Project. Interviews with long time Peters more Township residents took place in 2003 and 2004. less
The Bedford-Bigelow-West Penn Hillside Study Area Photographs contains 57 images depicting a section of the Hill District neighborhood of Pittsburgh in 1953. The Pittsburgh City Planning more Department used the photographs to support their analysis of potential redevelopment projects in the Hill District. less
The Centre-Morgan Redevelopment Area Photographs contain 29 images depicting Redevelopment Area No. 8 in the Hill District neighborhood of Pittsburgh on April 24, 1953. Weeks earlier, more on March 31, 1953, the Pittsburgh City Planning Commission certified the project area as an approved Redevelopment Area, citing housing blight around the upper campus of the University of Pittsburgh, the proposed project’s primary developer. Pittsburgh City Council approved the proposal on October 26, 1953 (Ordinance 369), and the 31-acre site was purchased by the University for the expansion of its physical education and sports facilities. The boundaries of Redevelopment Area No. 8 included: Centre Ave.; Hardol St.; Breckenridge St.; Vera St.; boundary of Veterans Administration and Westinghouse Radio Station Inc. property; Allequippa St.; Robinson St.; Carillo St.; and Morgan St. less
The Centre-Weil Study Area Photographs contains 22 images depicting a section of the Hill District neighborhood of Pittsburgh on April 24, 1953. The Pittsburgh City Planning more Department used the photographs to support their analysis of potential redevelopment projects in the Hill District. less
The Lower Hazelwood Redevelopment Photographs contain 39 images depicting Redevelopment Areas 4 and 5 in the Hazelwood neighborhood of Pittsburgh, c. 1951. The collection includes 17 more images of Redevelopment Area 4, which was approved as a redevelopment area by the City Planning Commission on January 30, 1951. The project area was bounded by Second Avenue; properties of the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company; Monongahela Connecting Railroad; Baltimore & Ohio Railroad; with frontages on Rutherglen Street, Kansas Street, Lytle Street, Composite Street, and McNally Way. The collection also includes 22 images depicting Redevelopment Area No. 5, which was approved by the City Planning Commission on March 6, 1951. The project area was bounded by Second Avenue; Tecumseh Street, the Monongahela River; Longworth Street; the same consisting of blocks Nos. 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, and 10 of Housing Evaluation District No. 20. The primary developer of these projects was the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company, which was able to expand its Hazelwood operations. less
The Manchester, Chateau Street West Redevelopment Area Photographs contain 111 images depicting Redevelopment Area No. 11 in 1959, which encompassed 164 acres straddling today's Manchester and more Chateau neighborhoods in Pittsburgh’s North Side. The City Planning Commission certified the project area as an approved Redevelopment Area on July 14, 1959. According to the Commission, the area was an “unplanned conglomeration of blighted residential, commercial structures, and crowded industrial sites.” The land was redeveloped for commercial and industrial sites and the street patterns were revamped to extend Ohio River Boulevard. The project area was bounded by the Ohio River, Island Avenue, Chateau Street and the West End Bridge. less
Progress was a periodical published by the Citizens Committee on City Plan beginning in 1921. The Citizens Committee was formed three years earlier, in 1918, in more order to promote the benefits of comprehensive urban planning and, more specifically, a planning program known as the Pittsburgh Plan. The Pittsburgh Plan was the first local attempt at a comprehensive plan, the details of which were published separately in a six-part series of reports issued by the Committee from 1920 to 1923. Progress chronicled the work conducted by the Committee, developments in urban planning both locally and nationally, and disseminated news of local interest relating to transportation, infrastructure and zoning. This collection contains an incomplete run of 41 issues of the magazine published between 1921 and 1941. less
The South Side Redevelopment Area Photographs contain 134 images depicting Redevelopment Area No. 2 in the South Side neighborhood of Pittsburgh in July and August of more 1949. The photographs were taken by the photographer of the Department of Public Works at the request of the Pittsburgh City Planning Commission. On May 17, 1949, the City Planning Commission certified the project area as an approved Redevelopment Area according to the terms set forth in the Urban Redevelopment Law of 1945. According to the Commission’s minutes, the area was approved for industrial redevelopment predominantly due to housing blight. Additional factors contributing to their decision included the withdrawal of schools and churches from the area, outdated traffic patterns, and excessive subdivision of lots. The photographs in this collection were taken to substantiate these findings. The project area was bounded by the harbor line of the Monongahela River; the City line at Becks Run Road; the line of right-of-way of the Pennsylvania Railroad; and South 25th Street. The primary redeveloper of this area was the Jones and Laughlin Steel Company, which was able to expand its South Side operations. less
This collection contains photographs of people and places in Schuylkill County, Pennsylvania.
The Schuylkill Navigation Company was incorporated in 1815 for the purpose of making the Schuylkill River navigable. In the State Archives of Pennsylvania Manuscript Group 110 more there are copies of the legislative acts, minute books, correspondence, reports, and other documents of the company from 1815 until 1947 when the property was contributed to the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. In the 1947 report Appraisal Schuylkill Navigation Company Canal for Commonwealth of Pennsylvania a "Brief History Of The Property To Be Appraised" is included. The "canal" or navigation system was constructed between Port Carbon and Philadelphia and covered a distance of 108 miles. Harry L. Rinker in his book, The Schuylkill Navigation: a Photographic History, points out that this "canal" was more properly a "navigation system" because it consisted of 18 dams, 23 canals which covered 57.73 miles, 120 locks, 17 stone aqueducts, one 450 foot long tunnel, 50.50 miles of slack water pools, 23 canals covering 57.73 miles, and 31 houses for toll and lock keepers when it was completed in May 1825. After 1825 efforts to improve the navigation system were ongoing, so the above number of structures changed over the years. There are photographs of some of the dwellings still in existence in 1947 in the Appraisal Schuylkill Navigation Company Canal for Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Schuylkill Navigation Company collection at Reading Area Community College also includes drawings of reach profiles, canal boats, bowstring bridges, mechanical parts and scows. less
Scranton Public Library – Celebrating Our Towns: Lackawanna Co. Centennial Books and Community Histories
Lackawanna County has many different towns, townships, cities, and boroughs. This collection gives histories of how those places developed. Most of the books in this collection more are centennial projects. less
The Century Club of Scranton is a women's club that was founded in 1911 by prominent women of Scranton. During the long history, which continues today, more the club hosts a variety of games, programs, and socials for the women in the area. This collection contains scrapbooks, and bulletins starting in 1911. The club has had many famous Americans as guests in its doors. less
Funded by a grant from the Scranton Area Foundation, this collection contains streaming video of over 50 readings by nationally renowned poets such as W.S. Merwin, more Gary Snyder, Robert Bly, and Lawrence Ferlinghetti. These poets visited the Scranton from the late 1970's through the 1990's and were filmed as part of the Friends of the Scranton Public Library Poetry Series. The collection also includes posters. less
From Lace Makers to Coal Miners contains photos, books, church records, and brochures of what life was like in the Lackawanna Valley from 1866-1920. The photos more show prominent men of the time. These were bankers, rail owners, coal company owners, and members of the clergy. There are programs from symphony orchestras, and books about coal mining and lace making. less
Karl and Ralph Strohl owned and operated the Nay Aug Amusement Park for nearly 70 years. These photos are from their personal collection.
Scranton Public Library – Out of the Wilderness: The Industrialization and Development of the the Scranton Area 1850-1865
Funded by a grant from the Willary Foundation, this collection contains letters, books, paintings, photographs, and other artifacts from the era when the Lackawanna Valley emerged more from its agrarian beginnings to become an industrial center that powered the torn nation's war effort. Contributing agencies include the Scranton Public Library, the Lackawanna Historical Society, the Steamtown National Historic Site, and the Anthracite Heritage Museum. This collection relates to Scranton's early history and its importance in politics and history of the United States. less
In 2009 Gene Giancini was cleaning out a building on the West Side of Scranton. His family had operated a business in the building for 60 more years, and he was in the process of selling it. He found, stacked in the corner, old photos of Christmas window displays from Household Outfitting Company, 306-314 Lackawanna Ave. less
Contains over 100 photographs, scrapbooks, newsletters, and other items from the century-long history of this storied health care provider.
A collection of Sewickley, Pennsylvania and Quaker Valley region historic images and documents from the history collections of the Sewickley Public Library.
A representative sampling of valuable items on Abraham Lincoln in the State Library's collection that have been digitized to commemorate the Lincoln Bicentennial in 2009. Items more include the address of Honorable Edward Everett at the consecration of the National Cemetery at Gettysburg on November 19, 1893 with the dedicatory speech of President Lincoln; and the hanging of the Lincoln conspirators in Washington DC in 1865. less
Materials by and about Benjamin Franklin from the State Library collection digitized in commemoration of his 300th birthday.
A collection of Pennsylvania county, township and borough histories. Includes atlases and plat maps of the state, county, townships, cities, and boroughs.
A selection of documents on the battles of Fort Necessity and Braddock's Campaign, along with background on French and English relations as well as their interactions more with the Native American tribes of the northeastern colonies in the 18th and early 19th centuries. Originally digitized to celebrate the 250th anniversary of the Battle of Fort Necessity. less
This collection contains photos, reports, and other information related to a celebration of the 50th anniversary of the building of the Governor's Mansion in Harrisburg.
Items include a report on the 1907 Dar Mine Disaster relief efforts; the Twin Shaft mining disaster investigation, 1986, Early Indian history along the Susquehanna River, more Problem of the Irish in America speech, 1886, American Freeman, 1867. less
This collection contains miscellany from various exhibitions and expositions of the late nineteenth and early twentieth century in Pennsylvania.
The Pennsylvania bulletin is the official gazette of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. It contains notices, regulations and other documents filed with the Legislative Reference Bureau and more supplements the Pennsylvania code. less
Pennsylvania Capitol Centennial Collection Historic descriptions, explanations, and illustrated visitors' guidebooks to the State Capitol Complex in Harrisburg, Pennsylvania, in recognition of the 100th anniversary of more the dedication of the Pennsylvania Capitol Building. less
Contains reports of Pennsylvania State Agencies such as the Annual Reports of the Eastern and Western State Penitentiaries from the 1800's - early 1900's; Reports of more the State Quarantine Board 1896, 1899; Reports from the Bureau of Mines, Reports of the Committee on Lunacy, late 1800's; Proceedings of the Pennsylvania History Society annual meetings, 1906-1908; and more. less
Photographs, historical documents and government reports chronicling the development of education in Pennsylvania.
This collection contains periodicals, both newspaper and magazine in format, from the United States Indian School in Carlisle, Pennsylvania, as well as Pennsylvania State documents and more other digital versions of works on the Native American populations of Pennsylvania. less
Selected Pennsylvania Regimental Histories in the Civil War, with histories of Pennsylvania units from other wars to be added.
The movement of humans, animals and goods from one location to another within Pennsylvania and with other states. Items in this collection reflect air, land (road), more railroad, water, cable, pipeline and space transportation. less
A wide variety of Civil War literature, including a report on the battle of Gettysburg, preparations for the internment of the remains of the dead at more Gettysburg, testimony of deplorable conditions in Confederate prisons, speeches for and against Reconstruction, and more. less
Welcome to the State Library of Pennsylvania's World War I Collection, a part of the POWER Library: PA Photos and Documents. A collection of Materials about more World War I (1914-1918) from the State Library collection digitized in commemoration of the centennial of the Great War. less
The Summerville, Pennsylvania Story Project is a collection of documents, photos, and other memorabilia intended to present the human side of Summerville. The collection material dates more from the occupancy by Native American tribes to the founding of Troy (later named Summerville) through growth and decline to the present day. Presented in the form of stories, vignettes, and anecdotes, we hope to communicate the warm feelings we have for our town and introduce her to others around the globe. less
The Kiskiminetas Springs School was founded in 1888 by Andrew Wilson who believed its location by the Kiskiminetas River to be an ideal environment for educating more young men to continue on to higher learning. As one of the few remaining all-boys' boarding schools established in the 19th century, preserving Kiski’s unique history is vital. The Kiski School archive, housed in the John A. Pidgeon Library in Saltsburg, Pennsylvania, maintains a large collection of memorabilia and materials documenting the School's rich heritage. The digital collections facilitate an understanding of the school’s rich historical presence in the community through the collection, preservation, and accessibility of school records. The collection includes but is not limited to: photographs from the late nineteenth century to the present, yearbooks and school catalogs dating back to 1919, school newspapers and other publications, as well as other memorabilia and ephemera. less
This handwritten historic collection contains over 2,800 pages of entries documenting the operations necessary to produce iron and iron products. It holds seven Isaac Meason Union more Furnace Ledgers covering the years 1801-1822, with the years 1803-1808, and 1818-1820 missing. In addition, there is a Union Forge Time and Team Ledger for 1809-1811, an original index book, and ledgers for the Union Grist Mill and the Mount Vernon, Centre, Mount Braddock, Dunbar, Warren, and Pallofax Durance operations. These records are unique, unpublished primary documents of the iron furnace industry. Isaac Meason built Union Furnace, the first successful iron furnace west of the Alleghenies in 1791, also operating a foundry and grist mill in connection with the furnace. The associated forge provided iron sugar and salt kettles, Dutch ovens, and other wares that were shipped by local keelboats for Lousiana. These ware were purchased by both western Pennsylvania businesses and families, and by settlers traveling west down the Ohio River. The furnace and forge passed through several hands until the company failed in 1922. Meason also sponsored the first suspension bridge in Pennsylvania, and financed and collaborated with Thomas Lewis on the rolling mill producing bar iron in 1817. At his death, Isaac Meason owned interests in the Mount Vernon Forge, Maria Forge, Union Forge, Union Furnace, Grist Mill, and the Middletown Iron Works. The Meason ledges provide a broad history of the iron industry in Western Pennsylvania. This collection is dedicated to the memory of Joan Peake a long-time genealogist and volunteer at the Uniontown Public Library. Her dedication to this project, along with Linda Jennings and Mary Patterson, helped make it possible. less
An archive of papers examining historical flood control and new proposals under construction during the 1930's and 40's.
An archive of over 300 digital images from the library's Historic Warren Photograph Collection.
Provides a detailed navigational study of the river during the era of early rafting and lumbering.
The Carnival was a weeklong fundraiser event of the First Presbyterian Church of Warren, PA, featuring internationally and hobby themed booths, meals, and a daily publication. more It was held from September 23-29th, 1899 to help with debt resulting from a new building which had been built to facilitate recent church growth. The special edition souvenir newspaper was titled, The Carnival, and was published by members of the Ladies Aid Society, who also coordinated the Carnival event. less
The Historic Books collection contains local history and books of historical nature from around the Lehigh Valley. This collection also contains unpublished family history research records more of private researchers, which are often lost with time. The Historic Books Collection preserves these vital sources of genealogical information. less
This collection contains historical photographs of the Lehigh Valley.
The Samuel and Rosa Kern Letters collection spans a time frame from 1879 - 1887. These letters cover a broad range of topics spanning sports, social more activities, illness, education, weather and other areas of discussion. The letters cover a geographic area of: Lehigh, Northampton Lancaster, Chester, Northumberland, and Philadelphia Counties in Pennsylvania. Other locations from across the United States are also included. 0ver 60 area surnames are represented in this collection's content. less
A collection of papers and biographical materials from Williamson College of the Trades founder Isaiah Van Sant Williamson. Some photographs and genealogical research as well as more correspondence, legal, and financial papers. less