Welcome to PA’s 24/7 virtual reference service – Chat with a Librarian – where experienced librarians help Pennsylvanians find factual answers and provide them with research guidance.
Our librarians use information available in the POWER Library’s databases and
other online resources to find the most accurate answers available.
Our librarians are accessible via 24/7 chat, email, or text –
help when you need it, where you need it, and how you need it!
To match you to the best librarian for the job, tell us whether you are a…
See below for tips and help on using Chat with a Librarian!
Chat with a Librarian is great for:
- Asking general questions
- Getting help with databases
- Finding peer reviewed sources
- Learning about citations
- And more!
Email a Librarian is great for:
- Questions that don’t need an immediate answer
- Topics that could take a lot of time to research
- Getting book recommendations
- Library-specific questions
- And more!
Text a Librarian is great for:
- Quick questions
- Random Trivia
- On-the-go information
- Finding library locations/hours
- And more!
- Local librarians from your library or school
- Librarians from across the state
- Libraries from around the county and beyond, when our librarians aren’t available
- Expert help from a real live librarian
- Assistance finding resources and locating sources
- Help solving your school-related problems
- Someone to do all your homework for you
- Someone to sit and talk with you when you’re bored
- We treat our Chat with a Librarian users with respect and expect the same in return. If you use abusive orinappropriate language, we will terminate the session and take appropriate action.
- Librarians staffing Chat with a Librarian protect the privacy of your question and identity. However, people who make threats or use offensive language will be reported to the appropriate authorities
- We contact schools and Internet service providers to report inappropriate use.
- While librarians are very skilled at finding the information you need, it may take a few minutes or more for thelibrarian complete their search. The typical session lasts 10-15 minutes. Therefore, please allow enough time for the li- brarian to find the answer. If you only have one or two minutes to allow for a session, please logon and ask your question when you will have more time. This will ensure that both you and the librarian assisting you will have a suc- cessful experience.